Guest Editors: John Firman, Emily Kuhn, Kirk McLean, Rachel Nessim, Joycelyn Newell, and Darryl De Sousa
With the rise in tensions between the public and the officers in their communities, law enforcement agencies have recently been reexamining their policies surrounding use of force as part of their efforts to rebuild this fractured trust and improve public safety services. This issue looks at new research about use of force, data collection efforts, policies, and the different ways the law enforcement community is working not only to define use of force, but to determine how and when it should be used.
Each year during Police Week, communities across the United States hold memorial services in remembrance of police officers who have made the supreme sacrifice for their communities. Also during thi...
National Consensus Policy on Use of Force: How 11 Leading Law Enforcement Leadership and Labor Organizations Arrived at One PolicyLaw enforcement is currently under intense scrutiny, and no discussion of policing practices is complete without addressing use of force. The recent narrative surrounding law enforcement use of force ...
The use of force by U.S. law enforcement officers during encounters with citizens is one of the most important moments in con...
Justification of Law Enforcement's Use of Force: Lessons Learned from the European Court of Human RightsUse of force by law enforcement is a controversial issue in countries across the globe. There is no universal standard that d...
Events of recent years have brought attention to the issue of law enforcement use of force in the United States, especially in cases that result in a fatality. Law...
Community Relationships and Law Enforcement’s Use of Force: Learning from Stakeholders to Refine Policy and TrainingAn unarmed civilian is fatally shot. A family grieves or anxiously awaits their loved one’s recovery. Long-simmering tensio...
When Less (Force) Is More: De-escalation Strategies to Achieve Officer Objectives and Simultaneously Reduce the Use of ForceThere is much talk among law enforcement officers about de-escalation and use of force—methods, appropriate use, and risk a...
- 2017 Buyers' Guide: Provider Directory
- 2017 Buyers' Guide: Products & Services
- President's Message: The Many Facets of Law Enforcement Use of Force
- Legislative Alert: Ask Your Senator to Support the National Criminal Justice Commission Act
- Officer Safety Corner: Paws for a Pause: Therapy Dogs, Mindfulness Meditation, and Healthy Mind Check-ins for Officer Safety and Wellness
- Research in Brief: Place-Based Investigations to Disrupt Crime Place Networks
- Chief's Counsel: Subpoenaed Officers on FMLA: Stay or Go?
- Product Feature: Data Management: Making It Easier to Patrol the Digital World
- Technology Talk: Vehicle Impounding and Notification Enters the Digital Age
- Traffic Safety Initiatives: Evolving the Statewide Traffic Safety Culture in Illinois
- IACP Working for You: Technology Conference for Law Enforcement
- The Dispatch—April 2017
- New Members: April 2017
- Product Update—April 2017
- Line of Duty Deaths - 2/16/2017—2/28/2017
- April 2017: Index to Advertisers