The Los Angeles Police Department and the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department will host the 111th Annual IACP Conference November 13-17, 2004. For a preview of conference activities, please see pages 26-51 in this issue.
Photo © Michele and Tom Grimm/LACVB
The past decade has seen unprecedented growth in the deployment of closed-circuit television (CCTV) security monitoring systems. Nationally reported events, such as terrorist attacks and school and wo...
With ingenuity, $25,000 can go a long way. For Sergeant Albert Benally, the deputy sheriff in charge of inspections in the McKinley County, New Mexico, Sheriff'...
Not since the oil embargo of several decades ago has U.S. law enforcement faced such a serious challenge from rising petroleum costs. The price of gasoline at the retail pumps has risen above $2 per g...
Police departments have put in place various programs to address misconduct by officers. These include requiring ongoing ethics training for officers, improving use-of-force policies and training, dev...
The Australian law enforcement response to the Bali nightclub bombings in October 2002 is one of the most significant operations ever undertaken by Australian law enforcement agencies. Led by the Aust...
In the late 1990s, lawsuits alleging race-based traffic stops were being filed against state police and highway patrol agencies throughout the United States. In some instances, the courts ruled that r...
A prominent police educator called the police chief position "the most difficult and demanding job in public administration today." A government journal article about police chiefs is titled "Mission ...
- President’s Message: Fulfilling Our Mission: IACP Services Today
- Legislative Alert: FCC Approves the Consensus Plan
- Chief’s Counsel: Is the Miranda Custody Standard Different for Juveniles?
- Advances & Applications: August 2004
- IACP News: August 2004
- Law Enforcement Jobs: August 2004
- Line of Duty Deaths: August 2004
- New Members: August 2004
- Product Update: August 2004
- Products and Services: August 2004
- Highway Safety Initiatives: National Law Enforcement Challenge: 2003 Winners Announced