Guest Editor: Paul Santiago
Join us in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 19 – 23, 2013, for the 120th Annual IACP Conference and Technology Exposition. This premier event for law enforcement provides thousands of dedicated professionals from across the United States and around the world with an exceptional, concentrated forum for learning, collaborating, and experiencing new technology. Join delegates from local, state, county, tribal, and federal agencies and international delegates at IACP 2013 as they address law enforcement’s critical issues, advance their knowledge and careers, and equip their operations for the future.
Cover image courtesy of the Philadelphia Convention and Visitors Bureau.
With a tradition rich in history and a transition that heralds innovation and advancement, the IACP will be marking its 120th year of serving professional policing by relocating to a new headquarters ...
IACP members help build safe, stable communities where everyone should have a place to call home. But some people in U.S. communities are not so fortunate. As police officers, law enforcement officers...
In recent months, U.S. President Barack Obama has been put under increasing pressure to tighten gun laws after such devastating incidents as the one on December 14, 2012, at Sandy Hook Elementary Scho...
Don’t miss out on the incredible opportunity to invest in the future of your career at the 2013 IACP Annual Conference and Expo! This rich experience will be held at the Pennsylvania Convention C...
The concept of “policing by consent” has been a cornerstone of law enforcement in the United Kingdom for almost 200 years. The willing cooperation of the public toward being policed, and the need ...
The globalization of organized crime and terrorism brings a new challenge to the men and women in law enforcement both within the intelligence communities and, most of all, on the front line.The tragi...
With years of experience in fighting telecommunication and Internet fraud crime, investigators in Taiwan have launched a financial management, telecommunications supervision, and crime investigation p...
On January 12, 2010, at 4:50 p.m., a massive earthquake struck the tiny Caribbean nation of Haiti, killing hundreds of thousands of people. Among the dead were members of the Haitian National Police (...
Historically, law enforcement agencies have been segregated by jurisdiction and in many cases, attitudes. The unfortunate reality that existed in the police culture was a mind-set of city limits versu...
Hurricane Sandy devastated communities throughout New Jersey, with much of the most devastating destruction occurring in coastal communities. In Ocean County alone, 40,000 buildings were damaged by th...
Throughout the year and across the United States, randomly selected households are receiving an official U.S. Census Bureau survey form. But since it is not a census year, many people are certain that...
Environmental and Natural Resource Crimes: The Hidden Threat to Public Safety, Natural Resources and the EnvironmentCrimes involving the environment and natural resources typically are not on the radar of local police officials. Yet, closer examination reveals that these often hidden crimes also pose serious threat...
- President’s Message: Think Globally, Get Active
- Legislative Alert: Appropriations Battle Ahead: House and Senate Disagree on Funding Levels for Law Enforcement Programs
- Officer Safety Corner: Dogs and the Police Response: A Guide for Safe, Successful, and Humane Encounters
- Research in Brief: Sex-Related Police Misconduct
- Chief’s Counsel: Missouri v. McNeely: What Does This Mean for DUI Enforcement?
- From the Acting Director: National Institute of Justice Seeks to Make America Safer
- From the Administrator: Law Enforcement’s Role in Responding to Disasters
- Product Feature: Products Old and New Help Protect Officers in Hostile Terrain
- Advances & Applications: August 2013
- August 2013 New Members
- Technology Talk: 37th Annual LEIM Training Conference and Exposition—Recap
- Highway Safety Initiatives: Four Considerations for Making Safe, Effective, and Legal Traffic Stops
- August 2013 Exhibitor Update
- August 2013: Index to Advertisers
- August 2013 Line of Duty Deaths