Guest Editors: Stephanie Lash and Kathleen Kelley
Community-police relationships are the subject of discourse around the globe as law enforcement agencies strive to build or rebuild trust and legitimacy within their communities, engage community members and groups, and create the mutually beneficial relationships that lead to safer, healthier communities. To achieve these goals, law enforcement leaders need to stay abreast of ideas and research about community policing, crisis intervention training, mental health, and related issues.
Cover photo courtesy of Mountain View Police Department.
Over the last decade, there has been a growing issue for law enforcement—an increase in the number of contacts between individuals experiencing a mental health c...
The effectiveness of a law enforcement agency and its officers depends enormously on the relationship the agency has forged w...
One of U.S. painter Norman Rockwell’s most famous works is entitled The Runaway. This painting depicts a you...
Police departments worldwide are facing the challenge of building community trust in an environment of controversial shooting...
Homelessness. Mental illness. Substance use disorders. Law enforcement officers are routinely responding to calls in the community related to these three issues, a...
The phrase “building trust” has been the focus of many meetings, conversations, and academic publications on the topic of community policing and engagement wit...
Citizen involvement in community-based crime prevention represents the greatest challenge in term...
Earlier this year, the IACP sent out a call to our members and readers for photographs featu...
As IACP celebrates its 125th Anniversary in 2018, it is important to note how much the profession has evolved since the...
My name is Will Johnson. I am the police chief in Arlington, Texas, and a candidate for the IACP Vice President at Large. I respectfully as...
Serving the Leaders of Today; Developing the Leaders of Tomorrow” is not just a motto. This mission is at the core of the IACP. We are a member-focused association of professional police leaders fro...
- President's Message: The Cornerstone of Policing: Public Trust
- The Dispatch: August 2018
- Legislative Alert: DOJ Releases Critical Edward Byrne Justice Assistance Grant Funds After Stay of Nationwide Injunction
- Officer Safety Corner: Officer Performance Optimization: An Integrated and Culturally Relevant Approach to Officer Wellness, Health, and Performance
- Research in Brief: Striking a Balance: Research, Science, and Policing
- Chief's Counsel: Fourth Amendment Protection for “Curtilage” of a Home Trumps Automobile Exception
- From the Director: COPS Office: Changing the Narrative
- Product Feature: Traffic and Vehicle Enforcement: Many Problems, Many Solutions
- New Members: August 2018
- Line of Duty Deaths: 6/7/2018–7/2/2018
- Exhibitor Update: August 2018
- Technology Talk: An Amplified Need for Cross-Jurisdictional Data Sharing
- Traffic Safety Initiatives: Not a Single Drop
- IACP Working for You: Solutions by the Field, for the Field
- Index to Advertisers: August 2018