The 122nd Annual IACP Conference and Exposition was an overwhelming success, with more than 15,000 attendees, more than 200 educational sessions, and nearly 700 exhibitors. The event provided opportunities for learning, networking, sharing knowledge, and exploring new products and services for law enforcement.
Ethics in law enforcement has always been vitally important, but the focus has been sharpened as recent events have led to the public’s cries for reform, accountability, and transparency. This issue explores the timely issue of ethics in policing and includes research and recommendations for leadership, among other topics.
Cover photographs by Convention Photo by Joe Orlando.
The theme of the December 2015 issue of The Police Chief is ethics and professionalism. It is not in doubt that ethics in law enforcement demands immediate attention. As the authors of the foll...
Hardly a week goes by without news reports of citizen outrage at a police shooting or an ambush against an officer. Recent high-profile incidents, including the deaths of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mi...
Reporting on the misconduct of colleagues in any job can be risky business. Repercussions can range from incivility in the workplace to harassment, destruction of personal property, ostracism, a stall...
British police enjoy an international reputation for being one of the most ethical law enforcement institutions in the world. Domestically, however, their good standing has been shaken. Recent years h...
The philosophical side of policing commands a greater appreciation for the gray force issues officers are confronted with on a daily basis. Unlike the guidelines for police use of deadly force that ar...
If there was ever a time when law enforcement needed a champion, it would be now. In these times when the profession is under fire from criticisms, calls for reform, demands for restructuring, and dir...
The question of how to respond to criminality in the United States is changing in fascinating ways. U.S. residents and leaders realize that the era of “tough on crime”—a widely appealing catchph...
- President's Message: Expanding Our Global Mission and Presence
- Chief's Counsel: Preparing for Changes to FLSA Regulations
- Technology Talk: Drones and Law Enforcement
- Legislative Alert: IACP Participates in FAA Task Force on UAS Registration
- OPP Brings Fresh Perspective to Traffic Safety Social Media
- LODD December 2015
- December 2015 Products & Services
- Officer Safety Corner: Shift Work, Sleep, Science, and…Sunglasses?
- Research in Brief: Reducing Public Displays of Negative Alcohol-Related Behavior in a College Population
- From the Senior Advisor: Systems, Errors, and Ethics
- December 2015 Product Update