Traffic safety is a wide-ranging issue that every law enforcement officer encounters in some form during his or her career. It’s interconnected to a number of other public safety issues, including drug use and impairment, theft and violent crime, and officer safety, as well as the entry point for many community-police interactions. This issues offers a deeper look at many traffic safety concerns and offers examples of how some agencies are working to improve traffic safety in their communities.
Some people may recall Knight Rider, the popular 1980s television show featuring the exploits of a technologically advanced Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, otherwise known as KITT, which could drive itself...
Traffic Safety Innovations: How Agencies Use the National Law Enforcement Challenge to Zero In on Traffic Safety IssuesSadly, crashes involving drivers who fail to obey traffic laws for speeding, distracted driving, impaired driving, and other dangerous behaviors on the roads claim lives every day. The National Highwa...
In 2014 in the United States, 32,675 people died in traffic-related incidents—more men, women, and children than the entire population of cities such as Wheeling, West Virginia. Or Highland Park, Il...
Law enforcement agencies are constantly challenged with negotiating a variety of pressing issues while striving to maintain high ethical, moral, legal, and professional standards. Of utmost importance...
When thinking about impaired driving or driving under the influence, most people typically think of alcohol or “drunk driving.” But, in actuality, impaired driving has changed significantly over t...
No one enjoys sitting in traffic, yet millions of people do so on their daily commutes, wasting both time and money. In the 2015 Urban Mobility Scorecard, the Texas A&M University Transportation Insti...
rom the unrest in Ferguson, Missouri, to the riots in Baltimore, Maryland, in recent years, clashes between police and protesters have undermined trust between the two groups and have had negative imp...
- President's Message: Drug-Impaired Driving – A Growing Problem
- Chief's Counsel Knock Knock… Who’s There? 9th Circuit Court of Appeals Provides Guidance on Knock-and-Announce Rule
- Technology Talk: FBI Cyber Investigator Certification Program – Building a Foundation for Law Enforcement
- Legislative Alert: U.S. Congress Appropriations Update; POLICE Act Passes Senate
- Traffic Safety Initiatives: Predictive Analytics as a Traffic Safety Tool
- Line of Duty Deaths: 5/9/16-6/12/16
- July 2016 New Members
- July 2016 Index to Advertisers
- July 2016 Product Update
- Officer Safety Corner: SAFE Driving Campaign: Building a Culture of Courage to Save Law Enforcement Lives
- Product Feature: More Efficiency, More Effectiveness Lie in the Cloud
- Research in Brief: The Challenge and Promise of Using Community Policing Strategies to Prevent Violent Extremism
- The Dispatch - July 2016