Hector Garcia, Aviva Kurash, Curtis S. Lavarello, and Paul Santiago/Guest Editors
Schools and campuses are microcosms of society in many ways, but they also have unique concerns and elements that require approaches and practices designed specifically for schools. This issue looks at a multitude of topics related to school and campus safety, from safety-focused architecture to partnerships between community and university police departments to bystander interventions and more, in order to help law enforcement better protect their educational communities.
Strategic organizational forecasting through formalized police “futures units” is the next step in the evolution of modern law enforcement. For decades many businesses in private industry have ut...
It was a typical June day in Santa Monica, California—a hazy morning shrouded in what area weather forecasters like to call “June Gloom.” With summer vacation days away, children in the Santa Mo...
Miami-Dade County, with a population of 2,617,176, is the most populous county in Florida, ranking seventh overall in the United States.1 Miami-Dade County Public Schools (...
Effective school resource officer (SRO) programs recognize and utilize the special training and expertise law enforcement officers possess that is well suited to effectively protect and serve the scho...
In order to effectively and consistently reduce crime within any given community, a culture of intolerance of crime must be created among community members. While there are multiple components necessa...
Of the primary human threats to safety in schools—vandalism, bullying, fighting, sexual abuse, and rampage violence—rampage violence is by far the most deadly and the rarest. Yet over the past 15 ...
The Effects of Active Shooter Resilience Training Programs on College Students’ Perceptions of Personal SafetyPublic safety and higher education leaders have implemented a variety of strategies to develop more resilient communities to prevent or mitigate the harm that comes from targeted violence. These strat...
Gene Roddenberry introduced Star Trek fans to a device called a replicator in Star Trek: The Next Generation in 1987. Many will remember Captain Picard walking to a wall in his stateroom on the...
- President's Message: Working to Make Our Schools Safe
- Chief’s Counsel: Showing Incident Video to Police Officers Under Investigation—A Best Practice Approach
- Technology Talk: A Kodak Moment for Law Enforcement: Using DNA Blueprints to Build Facial Composites
- Legislative Alert: IACP Sets Legislative Agenda for the 114th Congress
- From the Director: Making U.S. Schools Safer Through Scientific Research
- Driving While Impaired by Cannabis—New Challenges for Law Enforcement
- March 2015 LODD
- March 2015 New Members
- March 2015 Product Update
- March 2015 Products & Services
- Research in Brief: A Method for Psychophysiological Assessment of Acute Stress Induced by High-Pressure Law Enforcement Driving
- Officer Safety Corner: The Bulletproof Vest Partnership Program: Working to Save Officer Lives
- Product Feature: Mobile Goes Beyond the Phone