Guest Editor: Mark Logan
While it is generally recognized that education and training play important roles in the development of skilled law enforcement professionals, these areas are often more complex than many realize. Training programs in law enforcement cover topics ranging from constitutional policing and procedural justice to investigative techniques and tactical safety, and effective agencies need to be constantly exploring and evaluating which teaching methods and education options best support and safeguard their officers, communities, and organizations.
Dave looked forward to the training class. It was his day off from work, and he sacrificed time with his family to drive 30 miles to the class location to learn the latest trends in narcotic use i...
There is an expanse of the literature suggesting that procedural justice plays a significant role in influencing the perception of police legitimacy in the eyes of citizens. It has become increasingly...
Information determines the direction and outcome of any investigation. With police investigations, a significant portion of the information collected comes from interviews with victims, witnesses, and...
Character matters. Image, in policing, matters. There is no denying that the U.S. police profession has taken some major image hits from the Rodney King incident; the inception of cellphone video c...
Headlines calling for reform in police training are commonplace. Professional law enforcement magazines are filled with articles on reform, implicit bias, de-escalation training, fair and impartial po...
Although law enforcement officers are as proactive as possible, the very nature of the job often requires them to be reactionary. Officers must be able to perform and make split-second decisions “in...
- President’s Message: The Year Ahead (November 2017)
- Legislative Alert: U.S. Attorney General Announces Initiatives to Reduce Violent Crime
- Officer Safety Corner: Suicide Awareness and Prevention for Law Enforcement Professionals
- Research in Brief: Teaching Procedural Justice and Communication Skills during Community-Police Encounters
- Chief’s Counsel: Disability Liability and Creative Solutions
- Product Feature: In the Cloud: An Easy Path to Efficiency
- Technology Talk: Held Hostage: Steps for Avoiding Cybersecurity Incidents within a Law Enforcement Agency
- Traffic Safety Initiatives: Motorcycle Safety
- IACP Working for You: Forging Ahead: IACP’s Leadership Course for Women in Law Enforcement
- The Dispatch: November 2017
- New Members: November 2017
- Line of Duty Deaths: 9/8/2017–10/13/2017
- Product Update: November 2017
- Index to Advertisers: November 2017