Mentoring requires effort, patience, and commitment. However, like most challenging endeavors, its rewards far exceed its tribulations. Mentoring can be refreshingly nourishing to an organization and give it a boost to achieve greatness. If utilized genuinely, consistently, and strategically, it can remedy many organizational problems and provide an enriched work environment.
Mentoring benefits for protégés include
• increased likelihood for success, as mentors help protégés gain competency and avoid failure;
• assistance in setting goals and charting career paths;
• encouragement and opportunities for new experiences and professional growth
• help to avoid pitfalls and learn through real-life examples;
• enhancement of feelings of worth to the mentor and the organization; and
• support to foster self-confidence by cheering achievements.
Many successful people attribute their achievements to a mentoring relationship. The first step toward institutionalizing mentoring in an agency is mentoring of new employees.